Liberia International Airport
Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport
The international airport servicing the Guanacaste area of Costa Rica is located 17 km west of the city of Liberia. It is located at sea level, on the great extension of flatland called the Llano Grande. It is also only about 20-25 minutes from the beaches of the Papagayo region - Playa Panama, Playa Hermosa, Playas del Coco, and Playa Ocotal (Maps). Formerly named the Liberia International Airport, it was officially named the Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport, after the popular former president of Costa Rica and supporter of development in Guanacaste Province.
LIR opened for direct commercial airline traffic from the US in early 2004, starting with three direct flights a week from Atlanta with Delta Airlines. Within one year, there were 18 flights arriving, and today we have over 80 flights a week, with nearly all major US airlines providing services from the major hubs in the US directly to LIR. Back in 2002, there were only 56,000 passengers using this airport during the year. Now there are over 80 direct flights a week into Liberia and almost 528,000 passengers used the facility in 2011. The growth has been explosive. A newly constructed $41 million dollar arrivals and departure terminal recently opened and is a much welcome addition to the area.
The airport offers full services for fuel, luggage handling, and technical service for weight and balance certification, while its fire department is specially equipped with paramedic services. Inside the terminal are immigration, customs, airport security and antidrug controls, as well as, a bank, snack bar, restrooms and medical assistance.
Below is a list of airlines that do fly into Liberia Airport direct. Some of these airlines fly only during high season (tourist season). Please check each airline for flight schedules.
Direct Flights from Canada
- Air Canada (Jazz) from Toronto, Montreal
- Air Transat from Toronto
- Sunwing charter from Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary
- West Jet from Toronto, Calgary
Direct Flights from the United States
- United Airlines from Houston, Newark NJ, Chicago, Denver
- Delta Airlines from Atlanta, Los Angles, Minneapolis
- US Airways from Charlotte, NC
- American Airlines from Miami, Dallas, Charlotte NC
- JetBlue from New York, Boston
- Alaska Airlines from Los Angeles
- Southwest Airlines from Houston, Baltimore
- Sun Country Airlines from Minneapolis
- Flexjet from Houston
Direct Flights from Europe
- TUI Airways from London
- Air France from Paris (through Atlanta)
DIirect Flights from Other Locations
- Aeromexico from Mexico City
- Copa Airlines from Panana City
- Turkish Airlines from Panama City
- Emirates from Boston, New York
- Avianca from Chicago